Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bin Laden

It's been a few days since we've heard that Bin Laden is dead and to be totally honest, I don't know what to feel about it.  Many people are obviously happy about it.  And rightfully so.  Still, many of my friends aren't quite so sure about happiness over a death.  And rightfully so.

As much as I wish his death would secure our freedoms and put them back in their place, I just don't think it will ever do that.

For one, it's been ten years.  That equals ten years worth of planning on the part of Al Qaeda.  They know what they're doing after that much time.
Second, our lives have already been altered with increased airport and civic securities.  Is it likely that his death will bring an end to these?  I don't think so, and in this sense they won a long time ago.  A long time ago they brought some of our freedoms to an end.  I don't know if that was their plan, but it's what happened.


I was a young adult when Bin Laden's team attacked us.  I still felt the world had some good in it up until that point.
But they succeeded.
They scared me.
So whether or not Bin Laden is dead doesn't matter much to me. The world is scary to me still- regardless of his life or death.

I guess I can only pray that God has a place for him.  That's not the 'best' thought I guess.  But maybe if I get to talk with him later, I can hopefully understand him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment