Friday, July 25, 2014

Reclaimed Bench - From Old Chairs to New Bench



I was buying a dining table one evening, and the couple offered up some chairs for free.  They were all busted up, but soooo pretty.  Pretty and free?  How could I refuse?

Then about three months ago, we were walking through our village and noticed a house which was being refurbished.  Outside was a gigantic pile of wood - from flooring to cabinetry to doors, with a a sign that read "Free!".  We gathered some old flooring planks and door jambs.  I mean, really, how was I supposed to pass up free wood? (Yes, I got a little - read, a lot - of grief from my better half, but still . . . wood in England is about twice the price as in the States.)

Fast forward a little while, and those beautiful, busted chairs and old wooden planks were still sitting in my garage, with no hope in sight for them.
Until . . . I conned my wonderful husband into making something out of them.  It was decided that they would make a perfect bench.

As always, he's way ahead of me building-wise, and I don't have pictures of the plain old chairs and wood. But follow the pics to see a quick guide of the process.  There is a lot more to it than actually detailed below, but that's what happens when the man works while I train for marathons.  :) *Please note the same process is used in the seat as on the bottom shelf*

Look at the legs on those beauties!  A nice piece of wood was attached to the rear to make the bench good and stable.

Measurements were taken for the seat, made from reclaimed flooring, and the bottom shelf, made from reclaimed door jamb material.

Once positioned properly as the seat, the wood was cut at an angle to match the aesthetic of the chairs. 

The wood was then screwed atop the chairs, and wood putty filled the holes.

Then look, it's amazingly finished and painted!  Miracles are at work here, I tell ya!





The piece is painted in Annie Sloan Old White and Old Violet, waxed with a clear wax, and given a nice solid buffing to create the beautiful sheen on the seat.








No comments:

Post a Comment