Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Running Pains


I've been running some hilly hills lately.  Not just a hill here and there, but, like, up and over and up and down and up and over.  And repeat.

The change from flat to angled footing has put a little bit of hurt in my shins.  I'm talking shin splints.  They're not really that bad though, just a little annoying.  But it does remind me of the time I cried for two weeks straight every time I ran.

I guess it must've come on suddenly because I was (not-so) happily running one evening and I slowed to a walk- I was beat!  As soon as I did, though, I felt the worst pain ever in both of my shins.  It was so bad that I had to start running again to make the pain go away.  Eventually I had to stop running.  I mean, I guess I could've pulled a Forrest Gump and just kept on going for weeks.  But I didn't.  And when I got home, my legs ... hurt.  I can't even think of an adjective to describe it except for hurt.  Badly.  I physically cried.  I've been know to complain and to whine, but I don't really cry too often.  It was bad.

I'd always read that the best thing to do for shin splints was to keep running.  So I kept running.  And they kept hurting.  And I kept crying.  The one thing I can say for that horrid pain is that it did make me keep going;  if I stopped, it hurt.  It was motivation enough to not walk.

Eventually the pain stopped.  I think as suddenly as it came on.  I wish I could tell you some magic thing to prevent or relieve shin splints, but I don't know of one.  All I can say is keep on keeping on.  You'll feel better and realize just how tough you are.






I ♥ the Feeling You Have After The Pain Has Subsided!

No comments:

Post a Comment