Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Furniture Forum

I started painting furniture about a year or so ago.  My friend Gaby and I got the bug.  She did it first, and of course I had to keep up.  But painting furniture can be a bit expensive, what with buying furniture, paint, and supplies, so somehow I got up enough courage to make a Facebook page to sell some items, in order to afford my new found hobby.

It wasn't long after I began my page that a well known furniture painter in the area started bagging on "all the new people who suddenly popped up" painting and selling their goods.  She informed all of her clients, and anybody who happened upon her page, that nobody was as good as she is, that so many other painters out there did a horrible job, and that everybody needed to be very careful about who they ask to paint their furniture.  Now this would all be sound advice had it not been said so tactlessly and ruthlessly.  It was hurtful, to say the least, and I was devastated.  I was certain it was me she was talking about, even though I haven't even the notion of whether she was aware of my existence or not.

I've always done my best, learning new techniques and methods to use and not to use, and putting my heart and soul into the furnishings.  It's inevitable that I will have a not so lovely piece along the way, but I take what I've learned and move on. But still that woman haunted my brain.  I could imagine her looking at a piece I've painted and tearing it apart, brush stroke by brush stroke.  And I didn't like it.  Painting is therapeutic, a lot like running or playing the piano might be to another.  But when I felt overwhelmed by this woman, who isn't even in the area any longer, I got angry.  Why should she have any control over my emotions?  Because she said something not nice, in order to benefit herself?  Not gonna happen to me anymore.

All that being said, I don't want to be like that.  I want to share what I know with those who want to do it, but are unsure of how. And perhaps others who paint will help me too.  I want to make a community out of us furniture painters.  No competition, just a group of people who cheer others on, urge each other to reach goals and pursue new styles, and enjoy each other's (online) company.

  Hi, my name's Vicky.  Nice to meet you.
                                                 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are doing good! I would love to learn. I love to create but frequently abort because I don't want to "ruin" something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, don't be afraid! Ha, I know that's easier said than done, but seriously, what's the worst that could happen?
      Sometimes, I think a piece of mine doesn't look good, but if I leave it for a day or two, I come back to find it beautiful. When we make things, we tend to see only imperfections and we just need to step back, take a breath and realize what we've made is awesome.
      If you decide to try anything, send a pic, I'd love to see!

      Delete
  2. Just came across your page through Kirstie and I love this post. I also paint furniture in the area (I'm doing one of other pieces) and I've heard things like this too. It would be wonderful to have a network of other painters to support and encourage each other. I don't think there's any need to tear each down. I'm looking forward to seeing the wash basin when it's finished. You've done a fantastic job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber! I would love to join networks with you! And of course, I already know of you . . . you're the Chalk It Up lady. :) You have some fabulous items posted on Facebook. I'd love for you to follow me there to, if you aren't already.
    If you haven't seen Chalk It Up's stuff yet, check it out at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChalkItUpFurniture/?fref=ts

    ReplyDelete