Monday, March 7, 2011

Waste of Money Laws


Please understand I am no master of law.  I know I can come across as though I were, but it just isn't true.
One thing that just really gets me, though, is why there are so many statutes, regulations and codes.
I have a term for many of them, and it is 'Waste-of-Money-Laws'.

For instance, why in the world are there laws against texting and driving?  I understand that it's dangerous and generally a stupid thing to do.  But aren't there laws against distracted driving?  Even reckless driving?  Wouldn't/shouldn't  texting while behind the wheel be included in these?  Do we have to spell absolutely every little thing out?  Are we too ignorant to know that sending a text while driving can cause an accident?
( I won't even continue about spelling out every detail of laws; pretty soon, we won't be allowed to have passengers in the car because they are a distraction.  But I've said too much- this is another post. )

If we simply use the distracted driving laws to cover distracted drivers, then we won't spend so much money pushing web-surfing/email-sending-while-driving bills through senates; instead they could focus and spend money on important issues, such as education or delinquent reform.

It's a waste of money.



What's the Waste-of-Money-Law that bugs you the most?




I ♥ Sense & Sensibility
Photo courtesy of crunchgear.com

No comments:

Post a Comment