Sunday, April 3, 2011

Art for the Non-Art Student

There's a funny little contradiction in myself:  I love art.  I cannot stress enough how much art intrigues, calms, mesmerizes, and really puts me in awe.  However, this only applies to appreciating art.  I have come to find that when trying to do art, I am easily frustrated- because my attempts are never what I intend them to be.  My art teacher says you should never have an intent in the first place.  Easy for an artist to say.

In my class this semester, we have covered charcoals, positive and negative space, light and 3D art, among other concepts.  While the drawings seem to stump me, for the most part the 3D stuff has kept my interest.  It's much more inspiring than putting the color black on paper.
Our most recent assignment was to make a spherical object at least 2ft around.  I thought of a few different ideas.  A cake.  Grapevine with flowers, sort of a 3 dimensional wreath.  Using a paper mache structure covered with flowers (I do love flowers)- think decorative little globes you put in bowls, only ginormous.

I instead ended up with wedding decor.  It is almost the season, right?

A couple of things to keep in mind when checking out these photos:

  • My art never appears in real life as it does in my head.  In there, it's very cool. You'd think so too.
  • The first point is it, really.  The art in my head is totally awesome.  Bet.

The original piece- giant newspaper ball.


My last minute decision- quilting looms. At least I think that's what they are.


Let's make it the focal point of the reception.
<wink wink>


Up close...



...and personal.







I ♥ Art Appreciation!

1 comment:

  1. every time I try to post it doesn't work ... i love your pics and the project turned out beautiful ... : )

    aha! just because I haven't said much, it is working now, lol!

    ReplyDelete